1. Paanch Phoran Taarkari (Mixed Vegetables Curry)
- 150 gm pumpkin (washed and diced)
- 2 potatoes (washed and diced)
- 1 large brinjal (washed and diced)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2-3 dried red chilies
- 2 green chilies (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon aniseeds
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric power
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 tablespoon mustard oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a pan and sauté all the spices (bay leaf, all seeds base spices).
- Stir-fry the spices, add the cut vegetables and mix well.
- Add the green chilies, sugar, salt, turmeric and mix thoroughly.
- Pour enough water and add milk to cook the vegetables.
- Simmer till vegetables are tender and the gravy becomes thick.
- Serve hot with Pooris or Rice.
2. Thukpa (Noodles Soup)
- 250 gm minced Meat (beef/pork/mutton/chicken)
- 300 gm Egg noodles
- 2 large onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion leaves
- 3-4 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 4-5 green chili (sliced)
- 3-4 tablespoon cooking oil
- Salt to taste
For soup: About 3 liters of clear bone soup - beef/ pork/ mutton / chicken stock (any one)
- Heat the oil in a pan, fry chopped onions with garlic and green chilies.
- Add minced meat, fry for 10 min. add salt to taste, then keep aside after cooking.
- Boil 4 liter of water and drop noodles, boil for 2 min, stirring occasionally.
- Drain the noodles through a large sieve and run cold water over them to inhibit them from sticking.
- Squeeze the water from the noodles and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Pour hot clear bone soup in the bowl with noodles.
- Put fried meat-onion mixture and finely chopped green onion leaves on top of it.
- Hot Thukpa is ready to serve.
3. Laksa Stock (A type of Fish preparation)
- 600 gm Flaked (ikan kembong) (grilled macrele fish)
- 1 cup of tamarind pulp
- 3-4 stalks Daun kesum (polygonum) (A type of herb)
- Salt to taste
- Sugar to taste
- 4 liters of water
- For garnishing (shredded cucumber, lettuce, pineapple, big onion slices and green chilies)
- Few mint leaves
- 30 fresh shallots
- 1 teaspoon belacan granules (prawn paste)
- 2 stalks Lemon grass
- 10 dried chilies
- 10 fresh chilies
- 1.5 cm Lengkuas or ginger (a type of herb, like ginger)
- 0.5 cm piece fresh turmeric
- Mix water with tamarind pulp and strain.
- Bring tamarind water to boil.
- Put in spices paste and daun kesom.
- Add salt and sugar to taste and simmer for 20 min.
- Put in flaked fish, stir well and remove from fire.
- Add a few mint leaves and sprinkle some finely chopped ginger and add a tablespoon of shrimp paste (har koe).
- Serve the stock with laksa noodles and garnish with shredded cucumber, lettuce, pineapple, big onions and chilies.
4. Koat Pitha (A type of Banana Cake)
- 6 Ripe bananas (mashed)
- 1 cup of rice flour
- 1 cup of grated jaggery
- 250 gm cooking oil (for deep frying)
- In a big bowl, take six pieces of ripe mashed bananas and mix it with jaggery.
- Fold rice flour slowly into the banana jaggery mixture.
- Heat the oil in a pan and then drop the batter with help of a spoon in the hot oil, on medium heat.
- When the cakes have golden brown, place them on paper napkin.
- This sweet dish is ready to serve.